Here are some useful travel information for your upcoming stay :
DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS AND KEY DELIVERY
The exact address of the Villa South Iceland is : Austurbyggd 24, Laugaras (801 Blaskogabyggd), Sudurland, Iceland. To make a road map from Keflavik airport you can not use that address, – you have to use the following address “Skulagata, Laugaras, Sudurland, Iceland” and then you are in only 2 minutes distance from our house. You drive to the end of Skulagata and up Hverabrekka to the right. Then you drive about 150 meters and turn left. You will see 4 white/grey houses on your right hand. The first one is our house, Austurbyggð 24. On Google Maps you can also find the house if you input: “Villa South Iceland Laugarás “
A family member, Harald, who lives in Laugarás village will meet you when you come to the house and give you the keys. It’s best for you to call him only few minutes before you arrive. His telephone number is +354 7797762.
Regarding some interesting places in the neighborhood we can recommend the following:
1) THE GREAT GEYSIR geothermal spring (about 20 minutes drive). You can walk in the Geysir field and also find a nice restaurant there and a popular store with Icelandic design.
2) GULLFOSS. In only 5 minutes driving distance from Geysir you can see Gullfoss waterfall. Geysir and Gullfoss are two of the most attractive places in Iceland.
3) FAXI WATERFALL (on Google maps you find “Faxi Biskupstungnabraut”). The waterfall is located on the Tungufljót river. (15 min drive from our house)
4) KERID CRATER. In 20 min distance from our house (in the other direction) you will find Kerið crater. You will actually drive by it on your way from Keflavik airport/Reykjavik to our house.
5) ÞINGVELLIR NATIONAL PARK (Thingvellir). We highly recommend a visit to Þingvellir (30 min drive). Þingvellir has since 2004 been on the Unesco World Heritage list for its cultural values and the Icelandic parliament was established there around 930.
6) SKÁLHOLT CATHEDRAL is located in our village and is in a walking distance from our house (or 3 min drive), but Skálholt is one of the most historic places in Iceland.
7) FRIÐHEIMAR. We recommend a visit to Friðheimar in Reykholt. They are specialized in cultivating tomatoes all year round using biological controls and have got a lot of horticulture rewards. They also run a small soup restaurant. (7 min. drive)
8) SECRET LAGOON. You can bath in Secret Lagoon natural hot springs, located in the small village, Flúðir (20 min drive)
9) SWIMMING POOLS. We can highly recommend the Icelandic swimming pools that are geothermally heated. Our favorite local swimming pools are the following: Sundlaugin Borg (see Google Maps) (15 min. driving distance) Sundhöll Selfoss, Tryggvagata 15, Selfoss. (30 min. distance)
10) LAUGARVATN FONTANA GEOTHERMAL BATHS. In Laugarvatn (20 min distance) you can also find Fontana geothermal baths.
If you intend to visit the Blue Lagoon geothermal spa (which is located near Keflavik Airport) you have to book in advance.
On the website www.south.is you can find lot of other attractions in South Iceland (mountains, waterfalls, hiking tours, glacier tours, river rafting, horse rentals, museum etc.)
Here are the addresses of 3 low price grocery supermarkets.
The first one “Bonus” is in only 5-7 minutes distance from Keflavik airport, the second one “Kronan” is on your way from the airport to the house (in 30 min away from the airport) and the third one is located in Selfoss, (30 minutes before you arrive to our house). In Selfoss you can also find various shops and some restaurants.
1) Bonus Supermarket, Reykjanesbaer, Iceland (open 11:00 – 18:30, sundays 12:00-18:00 ).
2) Kronan, Hlidardalsvegur, Kopavogur (open 10:00 – 20:00 all days).
3) Kronan, Austurvegur 2, Selfoss, Iceland (open 9.00 – 20:00 and 9:00 -19:00 in weekends).
The next grocery store to our house is Bjarnabud in next village, Reykholt (about 7 minutes away, closes at 18:00). It ́s a very small local store with limited selection, however you can find most necessaries there and also buy gasoline.
Here are the names of several local restaurants.
1) Café Mika – Nice restaurant located next house to Bjarnabud in Reykholt (7 min drive)
2) Fridheimar restaurant – Tomato soup and fresh baked bread in a greenhouse cultivating tomatoes all year round. Very popular for lunch, only open 12-16. Located in Reykholt (7 min drive).
3) Lindin restaurant in Laugarvatn (15-20 min drive)
4) Fludasveppir farmers bistro (in Fludir ) (15 min), only open 12-16.
5) Geysir Glima (located at Great Geysir) (20 min)
6) Kaffi Krus (a small, cozy restaurant in Selfoss) (30 min) on the way from the airport to the house.
7) Efsti Dalur II, (farmers restaurant and ice barn, (20 min)
In Iceland you can not buy wine, beer or any alcohol in supermarkets. It ́s only sold in special wine shops, Vínbúðin, that are open to 18:00 in week days and 16:00 in weekends. The best way is probably to buy it in Dutyfree Store, Keflavik Airport. Please take care of regulations of maximum allowed alcohol pr. adult person on the airport’s website. – Notice, in the laundry room cabinet you can find all the extra towels you need. – And finally, the emergency number in Iceland is 112 and there is a doctor/healthcare located in Laugarás village.
We hope you’ll have a pleasant stay in Iceland and please let us know if something is not clear enough.